FEBRUARY FROG PRINCE!
Well, it is Valentine's month and you have to kiss a lot of frogs, don't you??
The thought processes behind this cuff are somewhat convoluted. February for me is dominated by visits to the dentist. Before Christmas I crunched on something rather hard in my breakfast cereal and broke a tooth and the filling dropped out - great! Repair involves root canal work and a crown. Bit of lateral thinking - dental crown....frog prince's crown!
The green material represents a lily pad and I wanted it to show through and look 'organic' and crinkly (but maybe not that crinkly!) I had ideas of doing a separate froggy but then decided to embroider him in, peering over the top of his big crown. He's camouflaged as the main focus of the cuff is intended to be the deep green rivoli representing his pond. The rivoli is bezeled onto the material with peyote stitch and has rings of beads built up round it. The embroidery is wiggly backstitch, stop stitch and a leaf design to give the impression of weeds and greenery. I'm pleased with how the double picot edging to the whole cuff turned out.
| Nearly finished |
| His posh rivoli pond |
| Fun to wear and a great talking point |
I like your Royal frog, a bit hidden, but still... Royal!
ReplyDeleteFroggy is cute but the overall design is gorgeous! Will you be making another coordinating one for March? I think a pair would be stunning!
ReplyDeleteThere's a thought, Kelly. Maybe not March but I'll bear it in mind.
DeleteMany thanks for your kind comments.
ReplyDeleteYour things always make me smile, and this is no exception. I loved the mouse as a cuddle up cozy response to winter. Now a frog for Valentine's month is just perfect :-)
ReplyDeleteWho'd have thought that out of an annoying incidence like a broken tooth something so beautiful could emerge. Great piece!
ReplyDeleteYou've done it again, April! I'm smiling ear to ear, loving the pond, loving the frog, loving his crown. As Sabine says, who would have thought? The intentional crinkles look great on this piece. Also, it looks quite wearable. Is it fastened?
ReplyDeleteThanks all, I'm delighted with your reactions to my creation!
DeleteDon't need a fastening, Robin. It has an aluminium cuff underneath the material. It can be adjusted to grip the wrist.
I absolutely love your work!! I just looked at your older blog with all of last years' months on it...just wonderful! I am kind of new at this beading...but I am hooked! I was wondering about the cuffs...did you create your own pattern...or would you be able to tell me where I could get info on making them?
ReplyDeleteApril, he is absolutely ADORABLE! I sincerely hope that your tooth issue is cleared up quickly and completely...ouch :-(
ReplyDeleteLove your work!!! And the story behind it. Hope you feel well and solved the problem. Dentists... Yeck...
ReplyDelete