Friday, 15 March 2013


March BJP




OLLIE THE OWL PUTTING ON HIS BRAKES TO AVOID A CRASH LANDING!

Well .... basically I just fancied having a go at an owl.  My school badge was an owl, the symbol of Athena the Goddess of Wisdom.  March is my birthday month - perhaps I'm supposed to be a wise old owl by now?? I've certainly had a few lucky landings by the skin of my teeth!

The original idea was an owl with its wings closed. Then I saw a great photo of an owl coming into land (yes, I know it might have spotted a mouse, but I'm ignoring that possibility!).


I sketched out the shape and got rather carried away. The piece is bigger than I had intended. If I'm honest, it's a bit on the large side for a cuff and you can't see the wings properly round the sides.

Still, I loved creating it and tried to capture some of the different textures of the feathers with a variety of stitches.

I may well take the owl off the cuff and turn it into a little wall hanging with a twig (something like the last photo). Alternatively, it would make a great feature on my fleece gilet/vest, which is a similar colour to the background. I'd have to make it easily removable as I don't think it would take kindly to going through the wash!

[PS I've been wanting to bead in browns and blues - thanks for the inspiration Susan (S)]





10 comments:

  1. The eyes are incredible!!!
    I agree that he's a bit large for a cuff, but I'm sure you'll find some fantastic way to display all his glorious beading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is adorable!! and I love the title...brakes on, indeed!!! wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh April! Wow...just wow! I don't think he's too big for a cuff at all, but if you'd like me to try him out for you and report back, I could make that sacrifice ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This adorable fellow seems very happy to be flapping about, resp. happily looking forward to the catch it is about to make. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowza! Your owl is incredible! I'm sure he'd love to come live with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You owl is incredible, such detail. Wonderful work April, you must be really proud of him

    ReplyDelete
  7. April, you made a very nice owl!! I just joined your blog. I thought I already was a member, but I didn't see my name. I hope you'll have a look at my art blog lieskoster.blogspot.com and my craftblog huisvlijtigliesje.blogspot.com Art and craft are a bit mixed here and there, but I hope you'll like them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once again, thank you all for your lovely comments. Your encouragement means a lot to me as you are all passionate, talented beaders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello April, Thank you for your comment on my blog. I completed the story about the blue pin and you are mentioned in it because you are so close... Huisvlijtigliesje.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete