MARCH BEAD JOURNAL PROJECT PIECE
Mad March Hares
We have a saying in the UK 'mad as a March hare'. It derives from the behaviour of hares in their breeding season, which starts here in March. They appear to box each other and jump in the air. If you get up early, you might be lucky enough to see them leaping about in a meadow. I've only seen hares 'boxing' once and that was a long time ago.
I've used 'boxing' hares as my theme for March but, being a geriatric martial artist, I've changed their sport and awarded them both black belts! I've tried to represent the idea of the Vernal Equinox (20th March this year) by balancing day & night, sun & moon, silver and gold. The sun and moon designs on the hares' bodies were influenced by Huichol Indian beadwork.
I made a lot of mistakes along the way. Painting the cotton with acrylics and not washing it out (as I've done previously to get a lighter effect) made it very difficult to get the needle through. Fabric paints would no doubt work better, but I wanted to use what I had to hand. I should also have painted the shapes of the hares black before beading them. The gold and silver beads look different on the dark and light backgrounds and the hares look a bit transparent. There were all sorts of other little problems, but I won't draw your attention to them! Hopefully I won't make the same mistakes again.
The beads I used for the edging are from a broken rope of jet beads that belonged to my great-grandmother. I hope she would be amused that I've recycled them in this way!
Oh, April! This is by far my favorite piece of the year. YES!!!! I love every thing about it. Goodness, rabbit is my totem animal, yet I never knew of the boxing ritual. Black belt, sun & moon guided rabbits. Can't get any better.
ReplyDeleteIf you were willing to part with this piece, I'd love to trade for something of mine or even buy it from you. If not, I totally understand... I have trouble parting with my pieces and have never given or sold a BJP piece because they're so personal. Think about it... At least I have the picture... saved it in my "most special art" file!
April!!! Another most wonderful piece!! And we have learned another bit about you..martial arts. My grandsons train and compete in Brazilian Jui Jitsu and Muay Thai.
ReplyDeleteWhat's up with that star on the left bunnie's butt?
xx, Carol
Glad you like it Carol. Yes, I'd picked up your grandsons' interest from your blog. I'm not quite as flexible as they are! I used to practise Shotokan (Japanese) but I now train in a Tibetan style alongside my elder son. Love it.
DeleteThat star is haematite and it caught the light when I took the photo! The 2 other little stars are a pale blue mineral and almost disappear in the photo. It's a whimsical piece (with a touch of my warped sense of humour) and I'm so happy that both you and Robin like it despite its faults.
You put so much thought into your design - I loved reading the backstory of your piece, and I'm still devouring all the little details. And because you shared your process, complete with "mistakes," we're all wiser!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations April, what a wonderful piece. It makes you smile just to look at it. I know what you mean about the painted fabric being tough to bead, I did the same thing when I beaded my Daughters handbag. After fighting it until I was at last finished, I could not bead for almost three months because of the pain in my wrist and elbow. Being stubborn sometimes does not pay. Great Job!!!! By the way, I love your paintings also, very talented lady your are. Happy Beading
ReplyDeleteHi Karin & Char
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting and leaving such very nice comments.