Thursday, 18 October 2012

OCTOBER - Rowan the Witch's Kitten 

Thought I'd try something a bit different this month. I fell in love with my friend's adorable kitten and she is the inspiration behind my piece for the month of Hallowe'en. I've called her 'Rowan' as it's a magical tree and also a special tree in Scotland, where we've just spent a few days in brilliant sunshine enjoying the autumn colours. We've made a few trips recently and are still gadding about, so beading time has been a bit short. I managed to do her hat when we were in Wales as it poured non-stop for a couple of days! The greeny blue 'stone' was prised out of an old scarf ring. 

The real kitten is grey and fluffy and I had some grey, fluffy yarn. Her body is a monochrome scrumble - part knitting, part crochet - in a rough cat shape. I took a wire brush to it to make her even more fluffy! Her nose and paws were over-stitched afterwards with white and silver thread. I added a touch of pink acrylic paint to her nose. The real kitten's gorgeous eyes are a beautiful pale blue, but green is good for magic! I had a couple of bits of dichroic glass so I painted pupils and highlights on and stuck them on earring posts and popped them into her fur. Her whiskers were snipped off the kitchen brush! I've had the sparkly star charm for years and it was perfect for her collar. The final touch was a little book of mouse spells created out of polymer clay and painted. Hope you fall under her spell too!

Rowan, the witch's kitten

Close up of her hat - with holes for her ears!



Book of mouse spells



5 comments:

  1. OMG April, this is absolutely adorable! I love this one so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, this piece is so cute and creative. This kitty reeks happy.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just too cute April. I don't want to sound ignorant, but is this a flat piece that can be frames or sewn on to a pillow etc? You are just so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased you all like her. Yes, Rowan's a flat piece which could be sewn onto anything and used as a Hallowe'en decoration. She's currently on an oval background to match the shape of the other months. I started out stitching pictures directly onto a painted background, but the last few are detachable and more versatile. 'Cyril' has a pin on his back and moves around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh April, you slay me! You just take a few things, add this and that, bead a little, and the results are just amazing. This kitty is so full of personality and fun! OMG, I love it!

    ReplyDelete